Saturday, March 12, 2011

Ruth the rest of the story

At the time of the Judges there was a famine. A man from Beth Lehem in Judah went to live in the territory of Moab with his wife and sons. His name was Elimelech and his wife's name was Naomi. His sons were Mahon and Kilon. They were from Ephratha from Beth Lehem Judah. They went to the territory an Moab and lived there. Now Elimelech husband of Naomi died leaving her with two sons. They married Moab woman and there was Orhah and the other Ruth. They lived there 10 years. They died as well both of them Mahon and Kilon leaving Naomi without her sons and her husband. She and her daughters in law prepared to return from Moab when she had heard from Moab I Am had come to help her people with bread. She left from the place where she lived with her daughters in law with her. Setting out on the road back to Judah Naomi said to her two daughters in law go back each of you to your mothers home and may I Am show kindness to you as you did to me and those who died. May I Am give you rest in the home of another husband. She kissed them and they wept out loud. they said to her we will go back with you to your people. But Naomi said; 'Go Back!' my daughters. why come with me ? I have no more sons to produce for you as husbands; 'Go Back!' I am too old to get another husband and even if I did and then had sons would you wait for them to grow up ? No my daughters. Bitter more for me than it is for you because the hand of I Am is against me. They wept out loud and again kissed Orhap but Ruth clung to her. She said 'Look your sister in law is going back to her people and her gods' Ruth said 'Don't urge me to leave, to repent, for where you go I will go, where you stay I will stay, your people will be my people, your god will be my God, where you die I will die and there I will be buried. May I Am deal with me extremely seriously if any thing but death separates me from you. Realizing this determination she had to go with her she stopped urging her. they went on the two of them until Beth Lehem. Arriving in Beth Lehem the whole town was agitated saying; Is this Naomi? She said don't call me Naomi, call me Bitter (Mara-Ed) I went away full returning empty I Am Why call me Naomi ? I Am has damamged me. the Greatest brought evil on me. She returned Naomi and Ruth of Moab her daughter in law returning from the territory of Moab arriving at Beth Lehem at the start of the barley harvest. Naomi's relative was an important man from the clam of Elimelech called Boaz. Ruth of Moab said to Naomi 'Let me go to the field to gather grain left behind in the harvest with someone who helps me. She said 'My daughter Go!' She went and picked up food in the field behind the harvesters and it happened that she was in a section of field of Boaz from the clan of Elimelech. Boaz arriving from Beth Lehem said hello to the harvesters 'I Am be with you I Am bless you they replied. Then Boaz asked his workers his harvest foreman 'Who is that woman?' The harvest foreman in charge of the harvest said 'The young woman is Moab she came back with Naomi from the territory of Moab. She asked 'Please let me gather leftover food gathering behind the harvesters, she has been working in the field from morning until now except for a short break in the shelter. Boaz said to Ruth, 'My daughter listen to me. don't collect in another field, don't go away but stay here with my female workers. Watch the field where they harvest and follow them. I have told the men not to touch you. When you are thiorsty go to the water containers and get a drink, the men fill them.' she bowed down face to the ground and asked 'Why do I have favor in your eyes when I am an alien (Foreigner-Ed) Boaz replied saying to her 'I've been told all you have done for your mother in law since your husband died. You have left father and mother , your homeland and come to a people you haven't known before yesterday. May I Am pay back what you have done and reward you richly I Am God of Israel whom you have come to take refuge under his wings. She said 'May I find favor in your eyes My Master You have comforted me spoken to the heart of your slave (Amah-Ed) even though i am not one of your female workers. Boaz said to her 'At meal breaks come here and eat bread and dip your bread in the wine. when she sat with the harvesters the offered her muesli. She ate her fill and had some left over. When she got up to gather Boaz ordered his men 'Even if she gathers from the collected don't embarrass her, instead pull stuff out and don't tell her off' So she gathered food in the field until evening and after threshing her grain had got about a sack of barley. She went back to town and when her mother in law saw what she had got and Ruth also brought out the lunch food she had left over her mother in law asked 'Where did you gather today ?' She told her mother in law who she worked with and she said the name of the man I worked with today was Boaz. Naomi said to her daughter in law 'May he be blessed by I Am who hasn't topped his kindness to the living and to the dead. Naomi then said to her; 'This man is a close to us. He has the right of Repossession. Ruth of Moab then said 'He even told me to stay with his workers until we finish the entire harvest' Naomi said to Ruth her daughter in law 'It wilol be good for you my daughter that you stay with his girls, in someone else's field you migh be molestered. Ruth stayed close to the female workers of Boaz gathering left over food both barley and wheat harvests until the end and lived with her mother in law. Now Naomi her mother in law said; 'My daugher I should try to find a home for you where you are safe and he wioll look after you. Now Boaz is our relative and you were with his female workers. Tonight he will be down at the barn processing grain, Wash yourself, put on make up perfume and your best clothes and go down to the barn but don't let him know you are there until je has finished eating and drinking. when he lies down see where he has lain down. then go and open his cloak (the text says 'feet'-Ed I know but there could be more to it-paul) and lie at his feet. He will tell you what to do. I will do all that you told me. So she went down to the barn and did all her mother in law had said. Boaz ate and drank and was happy and went to lie down at the far end in a pile of grain. She came quietly and uncovered him and lay down. In the middle of the night he woke with a start, turned and saw a woman lying at his feet. He asked 'Who?' She replied 'Ruth' 'Your slave cover your slave with your garment since you can reposes me' He replied By I Am my daughter you have shown kindness greater than before not going after a younger man either or a rich man. Now my daughter don't be afraid. Everything you ask I will do. The opinion of the people at the gate is that you are noble. It is true that I am a close relative but there is a closer repossession than me. Stay here tonight and in the morning if he wants to buy back, great, he can buy back, but if he is unwilling to buy you back I will buy you back by the life of I Am. Sleep until morning. So she lay at his feet until morning, got up while still dark so the neighbors wouldn't recognize anyone. He said 'Don't let anyone know you came to the barn' He said 'Bring you head covering, hold it out' into it he poured six measures of barley and put it one her. she went back to toen. Returning her mother in law asked. 'How did it go daugher in law?" she told her all that the man had done for her. She said 'He gave me these six measures of barley, saying don;t go back to your mother in law empty. Naomi said 'Wait and see what happens he won't rest until he sorts this thing out today'

No comments:

Post a Comment